My old blog: http://gizmo1021.livejournal.com/

My photo
I took the name of this blog from one of my favorite quotes from George Bernard Shaw: "Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." The way I see it, this blog and all of the experiences and stories that I write in it are, collectively, an account of how I go about creating myself in my daily life. My name is David.

Friday, August 26, 2011

My '99 Accord

This past Monday I lost a good friend: my 1999 Accord. My car broke down on the way to work, and as I stood on the side of the road, I was hoping that the reason my car’s engine was emitting white steam was because of some small break or a broken part that could be easily repaired. But nothing is ever that simple with automobiles. After I had it diagnosed, I was told that, among many other things, the head gasket was leaking, which not only would cost a good bit to be fixed, but could lead to other major problems down the road. It also had an oil leak, a blown heater tube, the timing belt needed to be examined and replaced, and a few other issues to the tune of two grand. After some deliberation, I decided the best move would be to sell my car to CarMax and save up for a used car. I’m very grateful for the family and friends that rallied around me during this time, but it was painful watching my ’99 Accord go. That was the first car that I owned out right, and although I only had it for four years, it was MY car and I had grown pretty attached to it. I had driven it to Cleveland to see family (twice), to the Blue Ridge Parkway to go hiking. I had driven it to the beach, and it was the car that had carried me to college those four long years during my time as an undergraduate. I kept it sparkling clean on the inside and out, and was proud to own a Honda. Now there is a sedan shaped hole in my heart. And although I will get another car and take just as good (if not better) care of it as I had my Honda, there will always be a special place in my heart reserved for my first car.



1 comment:

  1. I was very sad last night thinking about what an awesome car that it has been! Not to worry though, I am excited to see what is in store for you next! I've got my eye out for a late model Honda or Toyota! Nissan and Volvo are others that have great track records. Don't worry you will have another that will fill that void soon!

    ReplyDelete