My old blog: http://gizmo1021.livejournal.com/

My photo
I took the name of this blog from one of my favorite quotes from George Bernard Shaw: "Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." The way I see it, this blog and all of the experiences and stories that I write in it are, collectively, an account of how I go about creating myself in my daily life. My name is David.

Monday, January 10, 2011

First week thoughts

The first week of a new semester is always full of anxiety. Looking at all of the syllabi for all of your new classes makes one feel very unprepared. But it's just the first week jitters. Sure it'll take a week or two to iron out the kinks in your schedule and figure out how to manage your free time, but it all falls into place at some point. That's what I keep reminding myself. Besides, I'm a senior. I've done this so many times now it feels like a way of...life.
That's something I'm ready to be done with for a little while: being a student. Don't get me wrong, I love learning, but after four years I'm just ready to take a little break. A break from all the homework and deadlines and group projects. I'd like to just focus on other things for a while. I'd also like to have the free time on the weekends to read a good book or just relax without the ever present feeling of my unfinished homework bearing down on me.
But that will all come with time, I guess. Right now I have to focus on this new semester and what I need to do to prepare myself for post-graduation. It's a scary thought to be finally getting out there in the real world, but I can't wait. My classes this semester will be very challening, but that is one thing I love about school. I love being challenged. This semester I'm taking a economics class entitled "Quantitative Analysis". We discussed the subject matter in class today and, to tell you the truth, I'm really excited about it. The professor said that this class will be invaluable to those wanting to go to grad school for economics and that the material covered in that class will be helpful in many other ways for an someone hoping to focus their career in economics. I'm stoked. I feel the same way about my other economics class: Intermediate Microeconomic Theory. I also have two German courses. The last two I need to complete my minor.
On the one hand I'm looking forward to finishing my undergraduate years, and on the other hand I still love being a student. I know I'll always love the academic environment. It feeds that need to learn. But everything good thing must come to an end. I'll still be learning after I graduate, just in different ways.

Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment